What do you do with a Family and Consumer Science Degree you may ask! Well, I was supposed to teach school...but ended up a Stay At Home Mom...so I think the degree was eventually put to good use!
Since I took A LOT of cooking courses, I have mastered a couple of dishes. One, is a KICK ASS lasagna. Having the three kids always at my feet, I usually end up resorting to those 3-item recipes! Occasionally though, if I have a mommy friend who has had a baby, or I'm trying to impress friends with a dinner party, I will whip out this bad boy. It is really NOT that hard. The boiling of the noodles is the biggest pain. (And yes...you can use the no-boil noodles, but they are not as good!)
My husband told me the last recipe I posted was the WORST set of cooking instructions he had ever read!! Since most of my recipes are in my head, it's hard to give EXACT measurements...but I will do my best! Sorry ahead of time if it's fragmented! Just leave a comment if you have a question!
Jenny's Kick-Ass Home Made Lasagna
You will need:
FOR THE MEAT SAUCE
1.5 lbs of ground beef or turkey
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp of fresh basil, chopped
1 tbsp of fresh oregano, chopped
1 tsp of salt (I normally add more, to taste, after cooking)
1 large can of tomato sauce
2 6oz cans of tomato paste
1 cup of water
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE
1 lb of cottage cheese
1 lb of ricotta cheese
2 beaten eggs
2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
2 tbs of fresh parsley
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
Package of lasagna noodles
1 lb of mozzarella cheese
Extra chopped basil for garnish
1. Put water on boil for the noodles. Tip: To get the exact number of noodles you will need, go ahead and line your dish twice.
2. Combine your tomato sauce and paste in a pot and simmer.
3. Brown your meat and drain. Add tomato sauce. NOTE: Your water is probably boiling so put in the noodles!
4. Saute your garlic and onion in olive oil. Add to tomato sauce.
5. Add all of your herbs, salt and Cup of Water.
Simmer all of this for about 30 min. Drain your noodles and run them under luke-warm water to cool. (This will make them easier to separate. If you let them dry, they tend to get sticky.)
1. Combine all of the cheese ingredients. EASY.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
1. Start with the noodles. Make a layer on the bottom of your dish.
2. Add a layer of the cheese.
3. Add a layer of meat.
4. Repeat the layering process, one more time.
5. Top with the mozzarella cheese if you are ready to bake right away. If you are giving it away, or saving in your freezer, save the cheese until it is ready to be baked.
6. Bake at 375 for 35-40 min (or until the cheese gets bubbly)
7. Garnish with basil on top
So it sounds like a lot of work...and it kinda is...but it is SO good, even the kids like it!! I can't tell you how many times I have been asked to pass along the recipe! So hope you try it!
**When giving away, I normally include a salad, loaf of french bread and some cookies. If you want to be really awesome, add a bottle of wine!**
If you want to make this recipe REALLY easy, use all store-bought sauce, no-bake noodles and frozen herbs and garlic! Takes about 30 min off the time and is still pretty yummy!!