Anyone else have a kid that WILL NOT eat a vegetable? I am pretty sure my son went TWO years without sticking one sort of veggie in his mouth. I went through all of the steps everyone told me....
- keep putting them on his plate, he will eat it eventually
- tempt him with lavish deserts, surely he will be enticed to try them
- make it fun! Tell them spinach has super powers
- arrange them in fun shapes and patterns on the plate
WHATEVER. None of this worked. Finally, one day...I learned the secret! CAMOUFLAGE. Yes, hide those bitches in everything you possibly can! I am not a fancy cook, nor do I like to spend hours putting together a feast for a toddler, but I will admit, I have become a GENIUS with disguising the greens!!
Here are a couple tools you will need to make things REALLY easy:
Ninja, or a great blender
A couple of things to remember:
- spinach has no taste, so if you add it to anything (even chocolate brownies) they won't be able to tell!
- cauliflower smells like crap when it is steamed
- parsnip does NOT taste like squash..so don't try it.
Here are the secret ways to trick your kids:
- grate yellow squash and put in it their scrambled eggs
- add chopped spinach, grated carrots and squash to spaghetti sauce
- use kale and spinach instead of basil for pesto
- buy sweet potato fries (who has time to make those fresh??)
- put spinach in your cupcakes **recipe below**
- put spinach, kale and Swiss chard in fruit smoothies
- turn your green smoothies into Popsicles
- add chopped spinach to vanilla Greek yogurt (this only works on babies)
- add grated carrots to banana muffins
- add chopped spinach to your brownie mix
- add spinach to scrambled eggs (again, only works with babies)
- add spinach to muffin mixes
- make potato/broccoli patties **recipe below**
- add spinach, carrots and squash to meatloaf, then cook in muffin tins!
1. Fill your blender with spinach, kale or swiss chard
2. add frozen fruit (I like blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and bananas...but you can add ANYTHING!!)
3. add about half-way full of regular coconut milk
4. add flax seed or protein powder (optional)
My kids love these cups- but you can find them cheaper at Target.
You can also freeze them into Popsicles, and these molds are awesome!!